GX Cloud FAQs

Welcome to the GX Cloud FAQ! This page addresses some of the most common questions about using GX Cloud. If you don’t have a GX Cloud account, it’s now in public preview: you can sign up here.

How much does GX Cloud cost?

Please visit our pricing page for more information.

What is public preview?

Public preview is an intermediate step between the Beta program and making GX Cloud generally available: it allows us to gather broader feedback and understand GX Cloud’s performance in more use cases.

During public preview, GX Cloud is open to our community. You can create a GX Cloud account and start using it with Snowflake or Postgres in minutes, completely self-service.

How do I get support for GX Cloud?

First, check out the GX Cloud documentation!

If you don’t find an answer to your question in the docs, the best place to post your question is here, in the Support category of the GX Discourse forum.

Our community has always been central to GX support, which is why we use the GX Discourse to permanently archive questions, answers, and discussions. By asking your support questions here, the whole community can benefit from every question and answer.

In the time that our developer advocates have to provide direct support, we answer as many questions as we can, prioritizing Discourse questions about the technologies and integrations that we offer official support for.

If for some reason you cannot share your entire issue publicly due to security or privacy concerns, please post as much information as you can.

What data sources does GX Cloud support? What additional data sources are you planning?

GX Cloud currently supports Snowflake and Postgres. We’re working on expanding the available data sources in the GX Cloud UI, and researching which ones will be most valuable to our users. If you have feedback about which data sources you’d like to see in GX Cloud, please reach out to our product team: product-feedback@greatexpectations.io.

How do I get started?

Sign up for GX Cloud here! After filling out the form, you will be redirected to the page where you can log in to the app.

Where can I find documentation for GX Cloud?

You can find GX Cloud docs on our documentation site.

What’s the difference between GX OSS and GX Cloud?

GX Cloud is built on top of GX OSS, so they have the same power in terms of data quality capabilities.

GX Cloud is the right choice for most people: as SaaS, it has extra features that help users set up faster by taking care of storage, user management, and hosting of Validation Results.

GX Cloud also allows for more effective collaboration workflows around data quality, and particularly facilitates collaboration with nontechnical stakeholders with its UI. In addition to working with Data Assets and Expectations in the UI, you can also see enhanced visualizations, historical data, and Expectation changelogs.

Does GX Cloud store my data? What data do you see?

No, GX Cloud does not store your data. GX Cloud can see the data in the tables you connect it to, but compute, including the direct connection to Data Sources and the processing of Validations, happens within your environment. GX Cloud does not pull the data under test into the application, and GX as an organization cannot see the data in your tables at any point.

GX Cloud only stores the test results and metadata needed to display your Validation Results and Data Docs. This metadata is entirely configurable, so you can specify what metadata GX Cloud is or isn’t allowed to retain.

How does GX Cloud protect data?

GX Cloud only stores metadata about your test results, never the actual data under test. This metadata is encrypted at rest using AES-256 and in transit using TLS 1.2. We also enforce tenant isolation both in the application and in the database via Postgres Row Level Security (RLS) rules.

For users, GX Cloud provides user management and RBAC functionality to allow user access to organizations. Within an organization, all users can see the GX objects and associated Validation Results.

Additionally, GX as an organization has obtained our SOC 2 Type II certification; you can see details in the GX trust center.

Where does the compute happen during data validation?

Compute, including the direct connection to Data Sources and the processing of Validations, happens within your environment.

Where is GX Cloud located? Can you select a specific region?

Currently, GX Cloud is hosted in an AWS RDS instance in us-east-1. We do not host GX Cloud in other regions at this time.

Are you HIPAA compliant?

Please contact our sales team (sales@greatexpectations.io) for more information on HIPAA or other regulatory requirements.

Can I invite others to my GX Cloud organization?

Yes! Any user with the admin role can invite others to their GX Cloud organization.

Can I configure my GX Cloud metadata to show only row indexes, not unexpected values?

Yes, you can configure your result_format to only show the query and IDs of rows which failed validation. This prevents examples of failed values from appearing in GX Cloud. For more information about this feature, see the GX blog here.

Can I set user roles and permissions for GX Cloud?

Yes, GX Cloud supports user management & RBAC at the organizational level.